Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Being Mindful

That's my son in the photo.  Look at those footprints.  One after the other.  Step. Step. Step.  Each one is with determined focus and careful intention.  He has not yet learned about hurry.  No way, not him.  I hope he never does.  Each stride leaves an imprint of exploration, discovery, and wonder. 

Step. Step. Step. 

As for me?  Well, I am a different story.  Sometimes I catch myself rushing through the hallways here at school.  You know how it is, places to be and people to see.  In such a hurry I am not mindful. Nor am I fully present.  That is definitely not purposeful.  After all, how good of a counselor can I be if I am not completely focused on and fully engaged with whomever I am meeting.

During these moments I make a deliberate effort to slow down.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Smile.

Go easy.

Doing those simple things makes a significant difference.  I feel better– my body is no longer tense and my mind is uncluttered.  Thus, I am in a better place to help those who need me.

When you find yourself shaken like a Snow Globe what do you do to settle yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment